Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Dealing with Drug Dealers in Your Neighborhood

A couple of years ago, we had a problem with the tenants of a rental house in our neighborhood. We suspected them of drug dealing. I thought it would be a good idea to share with others what to do, in the event this situation ever happens in your neighborhood. I emailed Lakeland Police Department about this today, and Officer Michael Spade (I'm not sure of his rank) emailed me this information:

Drug Activity Recognition and Reporting:

The following items are possible indicators of illegal activity, especially narcotics activity:

- Different people arriving at all hours and departing soon after.

- Brief contact between people at or outside of a location with vehicles and pedestrians.

- Litter consisting of small plastic zipper bags and/or corners of plastic baggies cut off from the bag.

- People arriving with appliances, household items, and tools, and then leaving without them.

- The stockpiling of those items at a location.

-People standing outside of a location acting as lookouts.

Recommended reporting:

If you're in Lakeland, call the LPD non-emergency number at 863-834-6966. Otherwise, call your local non-emergency police department number.

Call the Narcotics Hotline at 863-834-2549.

Try to discreetly and safely record subject descriptions, vehicle descriptions and tag numbers.
Note the times and type of activity, e.g. pedestrians coming to the door, people driving up to subjects outside, etc.


Anonymous said...

I am going through this right now.
My family and I just purchased our home. Have lived here for a short time. Our neighbors sold their house and someone else purchased it and is now renting. the place looks like crap now. no one cleans up in front I have to worry about garbage and tickets from dept sanitation. she's renting an illegal apt in the garage/basement. And now i seriously believe they are selling drugs from their.
Live in NYC and at a lost. We have children and are afraid dont want to live like this.... trying to figure out what to do.

Anonymous said...

cant get police to give tickets for blocked driveway or reducing noise from illegal block parties could u imagine trusting them to protect u from drug dealers....?
dont have it like that to move again. what to do?
really stumped, fustrated,etc....