Friday, December 21, 2007

The Egg Factory is Back in Production

After an annoyingly long hiatus, Big Bertha- our chicken who has survived one raccoon and two opossum attacks- is back in business. We had given up on her and quit checking for eggs some time ago.

She disappeared from her pen yesterday and when I went in there to look over the fence, I noticed eight eggs in her nest. I'm not brave enough to have kept all of them. Instead, I picked out the two with the least amount of poop streaks (there I go again with writing about poop!) on them and put the rest in the compost bin.

I think that banty rooster from next door must've made Big Bertha feel like a natural woman again. Hence, the egg factory is back in production.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think I would have marked the existing ones in the nest with a marker, hoping they would be fertile and let her "set" on them. Don't forget, you can do the float test to check egg freshness. Fresh eggs lie on the bottom of a deep bowl of water. Older eggs "stand up" in the water, or still older ones will float to the surface.

My opinion, worth just what it cost ya. Merry Christmas, Y'all!

truewonder said...

Oh! So glad I found you, you're a chicken chick too. Aren't they marvelous, and I love your natural woman phrase. And yes the poop streaks are worth mentioning-us hands on gals know about the good, bad and ugly when it comes to coop politics. My granny always said,"Don't wash them eggs, they'll store longer-and if you don't like the pooopies lay more straw to keep them clean." Granny never cussed, except for the occasional "poopie". Good day, merry merry and such, take care-

Piercing The Veil said...

There are some things that are born to be survivors and it is quite amazing that we don't just see this on people...

... more often than not we learn lessons from the simple things that sometimes we tend to take for granted to look upon...

thanks for visiting my site...you are always welcome to come and visit

i am glad to have made a new friend....
/anto

Piercing The Veil said...

hello lorrie...just dropping by to say hi ....
best regards
/anto...