Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Volunteers Needed to Deliver Thanksgiving Meals on Wednesday

I read in The Ledger on Nov. 15 that Volunteers in Service to the Elderly needed 750 volunteers to deliver Thanksgiving meals this Wednesday, Nov. 21.

I tried this morning to call the number listed in the article, but it went to voice mail and the mailbox was full. So I called the regular VISTE number: (863) 284-0828 and Clara Hill was gracious enough to give me some great information to share.

VISTE hasn't reached its 750 volunteers yet, but there's still time to offer your services. Those interested in delivering a Thanksgiving meal and visiting with the recipient for a bit are asked to report to the Lakeland Center Entrance 2 at 3:30 p.m. or after on Wednesday.

If it were me, I would call first to make sure they still need volunteers, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if you just show up, there will be a meal ready for you to deliver.

Plan now to help out this Christmas
I don't have details on delivery dates yet, but VISTE also puts together about 300 "personal care boxes" for the elderly, and volunteers will be needed to deliver them this Christmas. The boxes include toilet paper, paper towels, lotion, hair spray, toothpaste, soap and other toiletries.

No comments: