Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Golden Compass Controversy

11/24/07- You can read my The Golden Compass book review here.

The movie “The Golden Compass” starring Nicole Kidman is coming to theaters Dec. 7. It is based on the trilogy of books geared toward young adults written by atheist Philip Pullman.

I recently received a forwarded email stating that Pullman wants children to denounce God and Heaven, "but he does it in a very subtle way that parents may not pick up on what his true intentions are."

The email goes on to state that in a 2003 interview, Pullman said “My books are about killing God.”

Then comes the call to action: Please don’t take your kids to see this movie!! Send this to EVERYONE you know!!! We need to get the word out about this movie and make sure that no one supports it!!!

One responsible inclusion in the email is a link to snopes.com, the great Internet urban myth-buster: http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

I read the information on Snopes, and after having coffee one evening with my friend, a fellow Christian who also loves a good controversy, I decided to read this trilogy for myself and draw my own conclusions.

I understand not everyone will do the same. So for those of you non-readers, I'll be writing book reviews on all three books very soon. My goal is to have all of them completed by Dec. 7, when The Golden Compass opens in theaters. Stay tuned!

No comments: